Couples riding together on one bicycle, strolling over canal bridges hand in hand, and tulips everywhere… With its numerous canals and bridges and amazing architecture, Amsterdam certainly belongs between the most romantic cities on earth. Here are some suggestions for adding to the romance.
Romantic things to do around Amsterdam:
1. Go for a walk
There is nothing more romantic than wandering through the city, across bridges, along quiet streets and beside shimmering canals. Start anywhere in the center and just wander. Maybe stop along the way for a snack or a drink.
2. The love boat
Amsterdam is simply gushing with old city charm and what better way to see the city than by a canal ride! A romantic Valentine’s cruise is the perfect way to see the city’s illuminated waterways while enjoying dinner and drinks. It’s a little chilly in February but if you’ve got a warm coat and maybe a thermos of hot cocoa, boating together could be quite a romantic day in the city. Don’t forget to bring along a few blankets, too.
3. Valentine’s classics at the theatres
Amsterdam has quite a few theaters with extra special charm like Pathé Tuschinski and The Movies. Impress your Valentine’s Day date with an outing that puts the ,,class’’ in classical. This annual event is part of a larger series of hugely popular concerts that bring film score favourites to life via one of Europe’s top orchestras plus songstress Fay Claassen in a venue generally touted as having some of the best acoustics in the world. In this romance-themed edition at Royal Concertgebouw, listen up for snippets from scores you know and love from films like Titanic, Sleeping Beauty, When Harry Met Sally and West Side Story between the Gershwin hits and Mendelssohn classics. An intermission glass of Prosecco, on the house, adds some extra fizzy fun.
4. Valentine’s day with Sazz Leonore
Dutch vocalist Sazz Leonore’s captivating voice takes the best bits from jazz, soul and pop, and fuses them together flawlessly. The artist is well-known in the Dutch jazz scene – particularly in Amsterdam. Her previous shows in the Dutch capital have seen her debuting a new album and paying homage to Michael Buble, so expect big things from her upcoming Valentine’s Day show at Amsterdam’s North Sea Jazz Club on 14 February 2017.
5. Rides on horse carriages
Take a horse & carriage ride around the old cobblestone streets of Amsterdam to your dining destination like Cinderella and Prince Charming did haha.
6. Ice skating
Oh, the romance of holding hands and ice skating together! Realistically, you’ll probably be falling all over the place and pulling each other down. And if it’s snow that makes you all warm and fuzzy inside, SnowPlanet in nearby Velsen-Zuidusually offer a Valentine’s package with 4 hours on piste and a romantic dinner.
7. Tour of Love
In the Rijksmuseum you get a ,,tour of love’‘ on Valentine’s Day. A gorgeous romantic tour through the museum.
Looking for some relaxation? Go to the Massagehuys! Take an Oriental massage and you and your love will be totally zen for the rest of the day!
9. Castle Muiderslot
Indulge your inner knight or damsel this Valentine’s Day with a romantic trip to a fairy tale castle. Lying just to the East of Amsterdam in Muiden, the enchanting Amsterdam castle Muiderslot dates back to 1280 and comes complete with drawbridge, turrets, moat and landscaped gardens – the ideal backdrop for any courtly love to blossom.
10. A bicycle made for two
Cycling is one of the best ways to experience Amsterdam. And what could be sweeter than roaming the city’s historic canals and lanes by tandem this Valentine’s Day? You can hire this bike for two at many of Amsterdam’s bike hire companies.
Romantic restaurants around Amsterdam
What a better way to end your day with a perfect dinner in one of these restaurants?
– At the Waldorf Astoria Hotel you can enjoy a international menu at Librije’s zusje Restaurant! They were also named best restaurant of the year in 2014.
– At Ron Gastrobar of Ron Blauw you can choose from delicious small dishes. My favourite way of dining!
– Or go to the Bridges, the restaurant inspired by Ron Blauw. Mostly if you love fish.
Is a full dinner too expensive for you? It’s also great fun to have lunch at a star-restaurant! And Amsterdam has many other restaurants where you can have a romantic dinner on Valentine’s Day, such as Luden, Lof, De Kas, Moon, Zen or De Japanner.
Romantic cafés & bars around Amsterdam
Perhaps your idea of the perfect Valentines Day is to get totally wasted! Well, maybe not. But knowing a place to have drinks before, after or instead of dinner seems like a good thing.
– What’s better than a beautiful cocktail? Certainly visit Hiding in Plain Sight, Feijoa, Porem, Bar Oldenhof or Door 74. Most of them are cozy, chic and the ultimate in romance. Just check in advance since Valentines Day falls on a Sunday this year some of them might be closed.
– Wine is also an excellent choice to get in that loving mood. Share a bottle or let your loved one sample a sip from your glass. These wine bars are great places to ignite a spark, Wijnbar Paulus, Wijnbar diVino, Bubbles and Vines or Glou Glou.
– A lot of guys (and gals) really like their whisky. Does yours? Why not surprise them with a date to JD Williams whisky bar?
– Gezelligheid is basically just a word to describe Amsterdam. Most of the cafes in the city are super cozy, comfortable and relaxed. Grab a table for two at a gezellige cafe with glowing candles, have a few drinks and gaze into each other’s eyes, such as Cafe de Tuin, Cafe de Huyschkaemer, ’t Gasthuis, Cafe Papeneiland, Cafe Tabac or Cafe Harlem.
Romantic hotels around Amsterdam
– The Volkshotel has something special in mind for Valentine’s Day! Surprise your lover with a dinner for two at Canvas, watch the romantic movie Casablanca in the pop-up cinema and stay the night in one of the beautiful hotel rooms of the Volkshotel! I’ve also heard that you get a nice Valentine’s goodie bag!
– You can also go to the Conservatorium Hotel! Have dinner at restaurant Taiko and sent a secret message: wrapped in a fortune cookie! It comes with a nice Valentine’s dinner, inspired on the Asian kitchen. And looking for even more romance? Book a hotel room and get a Valentines-water-treatment for the two of you!
– Hotel de Hallen is a new hotel in West and thé perfect place to stay at Valentine’s Day. Nice to combine with a visit to the Foodhallen and the Filmhallen! Or surprise your love with a special 4-course Valentine’s menu of hotel de Hallen at Remise47.
Other hotels worth of looking for are Toren, Lloyd, Dylan, Hoxton or Hotel de Windketel.
So what are you waiting for? It’s perfect time to book a flight (lowcost company Transavia Airlines) and your room to experience the best week ever!